Article & photos by Melodie Yvonne
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA (June 20, 2020) – I recently dove down into a rabbit hole full of glorious covers on YouTube from some of my favorite musicians. It got me thinking about how truly meaningful some of those versions really are. An artist chooses a piece to work with that inspires them, and that they feel that they can connect to personally in some manner.
Generally, it’s a special connection to another’s melody or words that they see a little of themselves in. This is why, although cover version are often overlooked, sometimes they are truly the most magical declaration of love for another artist that a musician can possibly bestow. Check out what I believe are some of the most noteworthy song recreations I’ve found floating around YouTube listed below, and please share your favorites with me in the comments!
1. Bob Dylan’s “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35” performed by The Black Crowes
2. Dua Lipa’s “Don’t Start Now” performed by Gangstagrass
3. Damien Rice’s “Delicate” performed by Addison Agen
4. Warren Zevon’s “Carmelita” performed by GG Allin
5. Robyn’s “Dancing On My Own” performed by Kelly Clarkson Live in Dallas, TX
6. Henry Mancini’s “Moon River” performed by 2CELLOS live
7. The Beatles’ “Across The Universe” performed by Fiona Apple
8. Bob Marley’s “No Woman, No Cry” performed by Fugees Live (1997)
9. Bon Iver’s “Skinny Love” performed by Birdy
10. Janis Joplin’s “Me & Bobby McGee” performed by Blind Melon
11. U2 & Metallica’s “One” mash up (U2 Music with Metallica Lyrics) performed by Chris Cornell at the Santander Arts Center Reading, PA 11/22/13
12. Bob Dylan’s “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35” performed by Sonny Boy Thorn with the help of Jonny Kaplan, Travis T. Warren and Salar Rajabnik at MelonFest 2015
Did I leave any out? Share your favorites with me in the comments!
View more of Melodie’s concert and event photography at melodieyvonne.com/photo-galleries/concert-and-events/
All photographicmelodie.com/melodieyvonne.com content copyright Melodie Yvonne Ramey. All rights reserved. No usage permitted beyond nonprofit online sharing without written permission from Melodie Yvonne Ramey. NO IMAGE or word ALTERING of any kind permitted. View the full Photographic Melodie content and Print Shop usage Terms & Conditions HERE